Volunteer with Kandelia!
Volunteering is an integral part of the work that we do at Kandelia, and we are deeply grateful to everyone who donates their time.
We work tirelessly to bring people from across the Seattle area to the Central District in order to connect neighbors near and far to local immigrant and refugee youth and their families.
Volunteering with Kandelia is an opportunity to serve the community in a meaningful and impactful way. Volunteers can learn about the needs of our students while strengthening their compassion for others. Volunteers also have access to free trainings through the school district and Seattle Public Library.
We seek to engage volunteers from all communities, including but not limited to:
- Universities and colleges
- Community centers
- High school students
- Retirement communities
- Families and support networks of students
- Religious communities
- Local businesses
- All individuals that have a passion for the community that we serve
Volunteers can make a difference in many different ways:
- Working one on one with students from all over the world
- Mentoring students
- Assisting teachers in classes to execute lessons smoothly
- Providing support for extracurricular activities, from homework support to dance classes and everything in between
- Helping to ensure successful community and fundraising events
- Offering pro bono support, for example, social media consultancy
- Serving on Kandelia’s all-volunteer board of directors. Board members use their unique skills and life experiences to help guide our organization to make an impact.
“This program teaches me new skills, how to communicate with other people. The most important thing is it’s fun. Everyone here is very friendly. It’s not like a classroom but like a family. So everyone gets along and has fun together.“